[sane-devel] avision backend support of HP 8250

Antti Andreimann Antti.Andreimann at mail.ee
Wed Dec 14 21:48:37 UTC 2005

Ühel kenal päeval, K, 2005-12-14 kell 11:26, kirjutas René Rebe:

> > The only way I got this scanner to sort of work was with the CVS
> > snapshot from 2005-12-12 when I commented out a 3x3 matrix send like
> > this:
>
> Please be specific - what do you mean with "sort of work"? Flatbad
> scanning in all modes does work?

Sorry, I didn't test it throughly at first since I was mostly interested
in ADF part (we are building a document scanning solution for Linux
terminals). I did some flatbed tests now:
1. all scanning modes except 16bit ones work (both 16bit modes: color
and grey crash the scanner).
2. DPIs higher than 1200 (this scanner supports up to 4800) fail
(scanner crashes).

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be able to scan something that's not a
slide or negative with a higher DPI than 1200, I'll double check it
tommorrow.

> Do you have access to another os where HP ships a driver for? The setup
> command for ADF would be interesting - otherwise we need to trial'n error.

Actually I did try it on Windows XP today, and the ADF is not recognized
at all by Windows drivers. I went through the self-test procedure
described in HP documentation and the ADF doesn't budge. I'll contact HP
service tommorrow, it might be the case that I have a faulty ADF :(

However all this still does not explain why the scanner does not work
with stable version of SANE. And why it only works when 3x3 matrix send
is disabled in latest CVS. I tried to copy backend/avision* to
sane-backends 1.0.16. It does compile, but the scanner does not work. I
need network scanning and there seems to be some problems with sanei
code in the CVS snapshot I'm currently using:

[sanei_wire] sanei_w_array: DECODE: maximum amount of allocated memory
exceeded (limit: 1048576, new allocation: 3180390528, total: 3181439104
bytes)

What does this 3x3 matrix do anyway and why is it's usage chipset
dependent (as I understood from the code, maybe I'm seriously off here
though)?

I can perform any tests You want me to and produce the logs needed.
I'll have the scanner in my possession until early next week for
testing. If I can't get it to work by then, I'll have to return it and
look for another solution. Perhaps because of the ADF problem I can buy
some more time. The scanner is marked as supported in SANE device list
and the fact that it doesn't work properly bothers me. What has
happened? Maybe HP changed their hardware? Or has avision driver had
some major changes after the scanner was reported to work? People browse
the supported hardware list to make their buying decisions, well at
least I did, good for me I was able to borrow the scanner first to see
if it really works, othervise it would of been a very expensive
paperweight (this piece of work costs about 900EUR around here).

--
 Antti Andreimann - Security Expert
      Using Linux since 1993