[sane-devel] New scanner: Brother MFC-215C

MadPenguin madpenguin at iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 16 16:04:53 UTC 2005

Hello list:

Just like to report the road to success configuring the Brother MFC-215C
under Fedora Core 4, using the brother2 backend drivers from Brother.

$ rpm -qa | grep sane
sane-backends-1.0.15-9
sane-backends-devel-1.0.15-9
xsane-gimp-0.98a-2
xsane-0.98a-2

$ sane-find-scanner
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04f9, product=0x0193) at libusb:001:004

$ scanimage -L
device `brother2:bus2;dev1' is a Brother MFC-215C MFC Scanner

$ cat /etc/sane.d/brother2.conf
# For libusb support for unknown scanners use the following command
# usb <product ID> <device ID>
# e.g.:
usb 0x04f9 0x0193

$ tail -8 /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
# The following backends are not included in the sane-backends
distribution
# If you want to use them, download them from their webpages and read
their
# documentation
#
# HP OfficeJet backend homepage: http://hpoj.sf.net/
# Uncomment the following line if hpoj is installed:
#hpoj
brother2

I originally had trouble with the drivers on the Brother website
(brscan2-0.0.1-0.i386.rpm), as they didn't explicitly support the
MFC-215C, only the previous model MFC-210C.  After contacting Brother
Linux support, they promptly sent me an updated rpm
(brscan2-0.0.2-1.i386.rpm) to drive the MFC-215C ... I'm not sure if
they've posted it on their website yet.

I must say I was very impressed with Brother's response ... maybe it
helped suggesting that I intended to inform the Linux community their
product played well with Linux.  Their website instructions for
configuration seem to be for the old scanner kernel module, no longer
used in 2.6.*.  Anyway, no permission problems (local access managed
through pam), and xsane works beautifully  ;-)  Cheers

~Simon