[sane-devel] AMD64 problem with 32bit apps and SCSI scanners

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Thu Dec 29 23:37:16 UTC 2005

I have a commercial 32bit application which is linked with sanei_scsi.c,
and which fails to detect any connected SCSI scanner when running on an
AMD64 system. Communication with the scanner is via /dev/sgX, it fails
in a write() call returning EINVAL. The author of said app refuses to
compile a 64bit version, but is prepared to link a version of
sanei_scsi.c which has its write() wrapped in such a way that it works
on both 32bit and 64bit systems.

At first glance, there are two write() calls involved. Before I have a
detailed look at the code, is someone knowledgable able to give a guess
as to whether this seems to be at all possible? I would at this point
imagine that the problem is in 32/64bit byte ordering and structure
packing, and that some byte shuffling would be nececassry.

Thanks,

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.