[sane-devel] Canon LiDE 60 test report

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sat Dec 31 12:43:09 UTC 2005

Hi,

On 2005-12-29 23:41, Reinhard Mayr aka Czerwinski wrote:
> 4. Color/8bit
> -------------
> All resolutions work. 1200 and 2400 are very slow (> 15 minutes per page)

Did you test this at a USB 2 port? Iget approximately 6 minutes at
2400 dpi and 3 minutes at 1200 dpi.

> 5. Color/16bit
> --------------
> All resolutions work. 1200 and 2400 are very slow (> 15 minutes per page)

2400 dpi: approx 8 minutes, 1200 dpi: approx 4 minutes.

> o	Resolutions >= 600 dpi lead to backtracking. Nevertheless,
> horizontal  stripes/lines were no longer seen and the images look fine!

At 8 bit I don't notice any backtracking. At 16 bit I get some
backtracking at 2400 and 1200 dpi, especially with high load.

> o	All tests were done with the built-in USB 1.1. I have a USB2.0

I see. 2.5 MB/s (or even 4.5 MB/s in 16 bit mode) is too much for USB 1.1.

> PCMCIA  card; Lineart, gray/8 and gray/16 work fine with it, but color
> scans  result in seg faults as mentioned in
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2005-December/015583.html

Can we have a log file and gdb trace as mentioned in the article,
please? Try something like:

export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS=255
export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS_GL841=255
scanimage --mode Color >image.pnm 2>log

and

gdb scanimage
run --mode Color
and when it crashes: bt

> o	Color scans > 600 dpi are infinitely slow. Lineart and gray are done
> with more or less acceptable speed.

USB 1.1 is too slow.