[sane-devel] Re: Umax Astra 3600 scanner under Linux

Gerhard Jaeger gerhard@gjaeger.de
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 08:44:36 +0100

On Thursday 03 February 2005 14:15, R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar wrote:
> Dear Folks,
>
> I am looking at suitable USB scanners for operqtion under Linux and two
> that are relatively inexpensive (circa AUD 100.00) are:
>
> Canon LiDE 20 which is completely supported, and Umax Astra 3600 for
> which there is no explicit statement of SANE support.
>
> There is an interesting comparison of depth of focus and scan quality
> for these two scanners at:
>
> http://www.ausmedia.com.au/canon.htm
>
> and that made me want to investigate the Umax Astra 3600 some more.
>
> I know from
>
> http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html
>
> that the Umax Astra 3400 is supported.
>
> Hence this question: Is the Umax Astra 3600 also supported under SANE?
>
> TIA.
>
> Chandra
> 03 Feb 05

Hi Chandra,

first of all, I don't think it's necessary to "bother" all the lists around ;)
Regarding scanner, it's normally enough to ask sane-devel...

In general, you should check www.sane-project.org for supported devices. AFAIK
Jonathans' site is somewhat outdated.

The UMAX 3600 is marked as not supported, also in general, the scanner manufacturers
use to keep the naming, but quite often change the hardware. So even if the scanner
is named somehow the same as a supported device (LiDE30 <-> LiDE35) it's not supported.

One note on the advertisment of http://www.ausmedia.com.au/canon.htm:
The LiDE 20 is a USB1.1 device, which supports full-speed mode, which is about 12Mib/s
and does not support the USB2.0 high-speed mode. It works on a USB2.0 bus, but it's
in fact a USB1.1 device.

Ciao,
Gerhard