[sane-devel] Problems with USB 2.0 / ehci_hcd / Snapscan backend

Eric Firing efiring@hawaii.edu
Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:00:09 -1000

Oliver,

 >Back then I wasn't aware that the problems may be related to USB 2.0,
 >my guess was that the changes for the 2480 in the Snapscan backend
 >caused the problems.
 >
 >Can you confirm that the scanner works if ehci_hcd is not loaded?

Maybe it is indeed a different problem.  I used modprobe -r to unload
ehci-hcd, but the scanner still times out with an IO error:

[efiring@manini efiring]$ scanimage -L
device `snapscan:libusb:002:004' is a EPSON EPSON Scanner1 flatbed scanner
[efiring@manini efiring]$ scanimage > junk.pnm
[snapscan] Scanner warming up - waiting 9 seconds.
[snapscan] Scanner warming up - waiting 33 seconds.
[snapscan] Scanner warming up - waiting 9 seconds.
[snapscan] Scanner warming up - waiting 33 seconds.
scanimage: sane_start: Error during device I/O

dmesg shows:

[efiring@manini efiring]$ dmesg | tail -6
usb 2-2: usbfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed ep 0x2 len 6 ret -110
usb 2-2: bulk timeout on ep2out
usb 2-2: usbfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed ep 0x2 len 6 ret -110
usb 2-2: bulk timeout on ep2out
usb 2-2: usbfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed ep 0x2 len 6 ret -110
usb 2-2: reset full speed USB device using address 4

The behavior seems to be the same regardless of whether ehci-hcd is
loaded or not.

Eric