[sane-devel] Primax 400 (plustek_pp) only detected by kernel module

Gerhard Jaeger gerhard@gjaeger.de
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:02:22 +0100

On Monday 07 February 2005 20:31, john wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:31:47 +0100
> Gerhard Jaeger <gerhard@gjaeger.de> wrote:
>
> > On Friday 04 February 2005 22:57, john wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I've got an antique "Primax 4800 Driect 30 bit" which is supported
> > > by the plustek_pp module.
> > >
> > > If I load the kernel module, everything works fine. But using the
> > > [direct] user-mode driver, I get this from scanimage -L:
> > >
> > > <snip>
> > > [plustek_pp] Compare data=0x7f and status=0xf, port=0x0
> > > [plustek_pp] p48xxReadWriteTest()
> > > [plustek_pp] Can't find your model, asic = 0x77
> > > [plustek_pp] detectScannerConnection() returns -9031.
> > > [plustek_pp] ************* ASIC9800x *************
> > > [plustek_pp] ResetPort()
> > > [plustek_pp] IOInitialize()
> > > [plustek_pp] * using readfunction >fnBiDirRead<
> > > [plustek_pp] ASIC = 0x00
> > > [plustek_pp] Unknown ASIC-ID
> > > [plustek_pp] *** DETECTION DONE, result: -9020 ***
> > > <snip>
> > > No scanners were identified.
> > >
> > > I've tested on Debian unstable (2.4 kernel) and Slackware current
> > > (2.6 kernel) with the same results. Cn anyone point me to where I
> > > should start looking for the problem?
> > >
> > Hi,
> >
> > this could be because of different timing behaviour, when accessing a
> > device via kernel directly or via user-mode application. As you didn't
> > send the complete debug stuff, I simply guess, that the parport didn't
> > run in EPP mode (or is not detected correctly), please make sure to
> > have it in EPP mode (check BIOS settings), also check the options for
> > the parport_pc modules (no IRQ should be assigned)...
>
> Gerhard,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. Sadly, it's still not working. Here's the
> complete debugging output from "scanimage -L". My apologies to the list
> for posting such a long message.

[SNIPSNAP]
> [plustek_pp] Assigning port handle 0
> [plustek_pp] ptdrvOpen(port=0x0)
> [plustek_pp] Try to claim the parport
> [plustek_pp] Setting SPP-mode
> [plustek_pp] Setting PS/2-mode
> [plustek_pp] We're using libIEEE1284 I/O
> [plustek_pp] Starting Scanner-Autodetection

Hmmm, did you really check your BIOS settings? Please make sure, that NO ECP
is enabled. You might try and set the port to SPP mode. Also set the
parport_pc modules parameter, i.e.
options parport_pc io=0x378  irq=none
This seems to be necessary on some boards, esp. with VIA chipset.

cheers,
Gerhard