[sane-devel] HP PSC1200 series and USB problems

Andrew Sackville-West andrew@farwestbilliards.com
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:43:53 -0500

I've encountered in interesting problem when scanning with my hppsc1210.
Its on USB. After scanning, all my other USB devices are offline. The
printer function won't work, my USB connected cable modem goes down etc.
its really weird because ifconfig shows the interface still there, but I
have to ifdown and ifup to get it to work again. Some mysterious
combination of shutting off the printer, stopping it in print management
etc seems to get the printer rolling again. obviously, this is a pain.

here's my set-up

knoppix 3.6
kernel 2.4.27

xscanimage --version shows 1.0.13
kpackage shows that we've got 1.0.13-2 version of SANE
hpoj .091 (i think)

i've tried a variety of front-ends (kooka, xsane, xscanimage) all to no
avail.

I did start playing around a little bit and found multiple instance of
ptal-mlcd running, I picked one and killed it, and everything seemed to
be better, but I don't know if it was that specific instance or the fact
that there were 2 running?

any thoughts?

thanks

Andrew