[sane-devel] Agfa SnapScan 310 SCSI lock-up

Ramius ramius@spymac.com
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:00:58 +0100

> even here, everything looks fine, so far... The log output stops at a
> time, where a SCSI command has been sent to the scanner but no result
> was sent back by the device. Sane uses a timeout value of two minutes
> for SCSI scanners, so it may help, if you simply wait this time to
> see, if you get any more output. You can also choose a smaller timeout
> value by setting the environment variable SANE_SCSICMD_TIMEOUT=20 to
> wait only 20 seconds. (But don't select a too small value; some
> operations may take several seconds.) But whichever value you'll
> select, I suspect that the Linux SCSI system will simply tell us that
> this command timed out... OTOH, we _may_ get a somewhat more specific
> error message, so it's worth a try.

I put the complete log of my operations at this address (gzipped):
http://ramius.spymac.net/sanesnap/scanimage_snapscan310_ramius.log.gz
I broke scanimage command with CTRL-C after 12 minutes running (and
scanner led flashing).

Other problem. From sane-scsi man page:

 >A common issue with SCSI scanners is what to do when you booted the
system while the scanner was turned off?  In such a  case,
 >      the scanner won't be recognized by the kernel and SANE won't be
able to access it.  Fortunately, Linux provides a simple mech-
 >      anism to probe a SCSI device on demand.  Suppose you have a
scanner connected to SCSI bus 2 and the scanner has a SCSI  id  of
 >      5.  When the system is up and running and the scanner is turned
on, you can issue the command:

 >             echo "scsi add-single-device 2 0 5 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

After boot with scanner powered on, dmesg said: Attached scsi generic
sg0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0,  type 6

I tried with:

 >   echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 2 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

It didn't work...

Thanks for any help.