[sane-devel] epson 4180 epkowa

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf@epkowa.co.jp
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:36:34 +0900

Mickael Profeta <mike@alezan.org> writes:

>>> Hi

> Some more informations:
>
> I Have juste tried this
>
> fjord:/var/log# SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=255 scanimage -L
> [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of epkowa to 255.
> [... snip ...]
> [epkowa] attach(libusb:004:005, 3)
> [epkowa] attach: opening libusb:004:005
> [epkowa] Found valid EPSON scanner: 0x4b8/0x118 (vendorID/productID)
> [epkowa] /usr/lib/libesint43.so: undefined symbol: __gxx_personality_v0
> [epkowa] sane_get_devices()

Now, here is some useful information.

> /usr/lib/libesint43.so: undefined symbol: __gxx_personality_v0
> May this line explain why I can not use scanimage
> -depkowa:libusb:004:005 or xscanimage?

Yes, it does.  It indicates a dependency problem with the standard C++
libraries that libesint43.so needs and the ones that are installed on
your system.  The odd things is though, that you report that you can
use your scanner when using iscan ...  Hmm, iscan itself is written in
C++ (nominally at least) so it probably loads the required library in
time for libesint43.so (which is loaded dynamically) to use.  When you
use scanimage (written in pure C), this does not happen so ...

I guess we need to review how our libesint*s get build and make them
take care of loading the libraries they require on their own so that
the epkowa backend is fully usable with pure C SANE frontends again.

Note, this problem should only affect the following scanners:

  - GT-7200 / Perfection 1250
  - GT-7300 / Perfection 1260
  - GT-9400 / Perfection 3170
  - GT-F600 / Perfection 4180

as these are the only ones that use libesint* modules.

I know this does not solve your problem, but at least you know what is
wrong.  I'll file an internal bug report.
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, PF1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/