[sane-devel] [RFC] Hotplug proposal -- migrating to hotplug hooks (hotplug & hotplug-ng compatible)

Julien BLACHE jb@jblache.org
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:02:28 +0100

Gerhard Jaeger <gerhard@gjaeger.de> wrote:

>> The idea basically is to build a simple database (simpler than the
>> usermap file) of the supported scanners, and, while doing so, adding
>> some features to the hotplug stuff.
>
> I currently didn't check, how the libsane.usermap has been created,
> but I think this should work somehow "automagically"...

The new scheme works with both hotplug and hotplug-ng.

The #1 grief against hotplug is that it slows down the boot
process. Hence the usermap file split, so that the script will need to
eat less data (and in case it's not a supported device, it won't do
much more than spawn a grep that will fail to open a file, instead of
eating 50 kB of data).

> Hmmm, go ahead, but it should remain somewhat compatible to the current
> hotplug stuff...

I have the hotplug script ready, I need to create the new files from
the current usermap file, and after that I'll post everything here for
test & review.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>