[sane-devel] [RFC] Hotplug proposal -- migrating to hotplug hooks (hotplug & hotplug-ng compatible)

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov@ums.usu.ru
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:28:45 +0500

On Friday 18 February 2005 03:02, Julien BLACHE wrote:

> I have the hotplug script ready, I need to create the new files from
> the current usermap file, and after that I'll post everything here for
> test & review.

One minor note. The scheme proposed by you at the start of this thread is very
generic (in fact, it's just a better-organized usermap). As such, it's usable
not only for SANE, but probably also for gphoto2 and maybe all other packages
that have usermap files in Debian. Could anyone please notify those projects?

Otherwise Greg's decision to drop (vary much needed) usermap support in
hotplug-ng without providing any equivalent functionality will only lead to
everyone writing his own reimplementation of usermap. Such code duplication
isn't healthy.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov