[sane-devel] [RFC] Hotplug proposal -- migrating to hotplug hooks (hotplug & hotplug-ng compatible)

Julien BLACHE jb@jblache.org
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 19:20:29 +0100

"Alexander E. Patrakov" <patrakov@ums.usu.ru> wrote:

>> I have the hotplug script ready, I need to create the new files from
>> the current usermap file, and after that I'll post everything here for
>> test & review.
>
> One minor note. The scheme proposed by you at the start of this thread is very
> generic (in fact, it's just a better-organized usermap). As such, it's usable
> not only for SANE, but probably also for gphoto2 and maybe all other packages
> that have usermap files in Debian. Could anyone please notify those projects?

Please feel free to mail them.

> Otherwise Greg's decision to drop (vary much needed) usermap support in
> hotplug-ng without providing any equivalent functionality will only lead to
> everyone writing his own reimplementation of usermap. Such code duplication
> isn't healthy.

It's just going to be worse than it ever was. We're going to have fun
with hotplug and udev in the future, grab some popcorn.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>
<jb@jblache.org>                                  GPG KeyID 0xF5D65169