[sane-devel] Infrared channel

Gerhard Jaeger gerhard@gjaeger.de
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:10:19 +0100

On Tuesday 22 February 2005 09:26, Rene Rebe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gerhard Jaeger wrote:
>
> > the problem is our SANE 1 standard, which defines the image format.
> > We have currently only the possibility to pass RGB data to a frontend.
> >
> > The solution (whenever we can start) is SANE 2 where we have a more flexible
> > approach for transmitting image data to a frontend.
> > It might also be possible for a backend to read the infrared channel and to
> > perform i.e. the dust removal in the backend, but this functionality should
> > in general be part of a frontend.
> >
> > VueScans' advantage or disadvantage here is, that you have a all-in-one
> > program (scanner-driver + image processor), this has never been the
> > approach of SANE...
> >
> > Maybe it's really time now for SANE 2, but it seems we get more and more
> > problems in writing new driver code, as reverse engineering consumes too
> > much time...
>
> I think the immediate available development time is too low for SANE 2
> right now. But maybe I'm mistaken ... (I would have the time and
> motivation to convert the Avision backend but there are so many others
> as well as other applications ...)
>
> However just adding one or more SANE_FRAME_ types would be a trivial task:
>
> SANE_FRAME_RGBI = 5
> SANE_FRAME_IR = 6
>
> ;-)
>
> But maybe we do not want to do this to have an argument to push SANE 2 ;-)

he, he ;)

a few weeks ago, I started with button support for the plustek backend,
using your ideas Rene, that's another point for starting SANE 2 - but could
also be done - somehow - with the current.

But in the end we have too much backends and not that much time to spent.
IMHO we really have two options to proceed:

- expanding SANE 1 in a more or less compatible way (is there really anybody
  out there who will have problems with this????)

- starting SANE 2 with, let's say 2 or three backends (in the end your Avision
  stuff, my Plustek backends (plustek, plustek_pp and u12, maybe some other
  VOLUNTEERS???????? - hell lot of work to do ;)

ciao,
Gerhard