[sane-devel] Infrared channel

Gerhard Jaeger gerhard@gjaeger.de
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:23:05 +0100

On Tuesday 22 February 2005 16:21, Johannes Meixner wrote:
[SNIPSNAP]
> Therefore it is normally not possible to determine the matching
> backend from the autodetected model string.
>
> I think we should discuss about an enhanced *.desc file format
> to specify autodetected model strings and model dependent
> parameter settings in <backend>.conf
>
> For printer setup this problem is already solved by the so called
> "PPD files" which describe printer model specific settings.
> Perhaps it is possible to "misuse" the PPD file syntax for scanner
> setup as well.
> The advantage would be that the PPD file syntax is an established
> standard wich is proved to work o.k.

You are right, but I don't like the idea to "misuse" something, especially
it has a spec consiting of 186 pages ;)
But we should really create some unique database, somehow automagically,
where every backend puts it's information and options to in a well defined
way.

> > anything i missed?
>
> Is there any special stuff needed to support big and fat
> printer/scanner/copiers in the network?
>
> In contrast to the small directly connected desktop scanners
> such big and fat network-scanners can do the scanning (almost)
> on their own.
> I.e. the user can go to the printer/scanner/copier and do
> the scan only by using the buttons and the display which
> is integrated in the device.
>
> All what such a network-scanner needs is a recipient
> to which it can send the data of the scanned image.
> Some of those device may even have a built-in disk
> to store the images and the user could scan many images
> and later the user would like to download the images from
> the printer/scanner/copier to his workstation.
[SNIPSNAP]

Well I think this could be done with the current SANE implementation.
Somebody simply has to write a backend for that task...

Ciao,
Gerhard