sane config files [was [sane-devel] Infrared channel]]

m. allan noah anoah@pfeiffer.edu
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:41:36 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Oliver Rauch wrote:

> Am Mit, 2005-02-23 um 20.59 schrieb m. allan noah:
>> most respectfully oliver, i disagree. perhaps your points about scanner
>> damage, etc are true in your backend because of models of scanners that
>> you support, but for my backend, it is far more likely that there is an
>> odd variation on the scanner that the backend does not know about, but
>> works just like an existing model.
>
> That also is true for some umax scanners. But I still think that the
> backend author(s) should care about that.
>

>> hence, the vendors have scanner tools that attempt to modify the dll.conf
>> to only load the right backends.one could make a strong case for finding
>> ways to do more in hotplug, instead of via such manual tools, and
>> it would seem that a very clear mapping between scanner models and
>> backends is the best way to do this. two different vendor representatives
>> have told us that the current conf/desc setup is not cutting it.
>
> What the linux distribution vendors try is to create a workaround for
> the bad situation in the moment. This does not mean that it is the best
> approach.
>
> I think SANE should work out of the box without tweaking config files.
>
> It is ok to add something like /dev/usb/xyz behaves like "Model 872" to
> the config file, but we do not need XML or other things for this.
>
> It is a good idea to make the config files a bit more uniform,
> but the discussion goes into the wrong direction in the moment.

but you give no reasons why! you just repeatedly say we are doing wrong.
that is not constructive.

yes, what the vendors do is odd and divergent from the normal sane
installation (suse's insistence on resmgr comes to mind) but if you admit
that there is a 'bad situation', the how about some ideas to fix it,
instead of hoping it will go away?

allan