sane config files [was [sane-devel] Infrared channel]]

Johannes Meixner jsmeix@suse.de
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:44:17 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Feb 24 12:17 Julien BLACHE wrote (shortened):
> there's no need for config files tweaking by the user

If this is true, why are there so many config files?

> for some backends, it's not possible to get rid of the
> config file

How should such a scanner be set up when you neither want
a config tool nor do you want to change the config file?

I think it is up to the author of a backend whether or
not he likes to have everything hardcoded in the backend
or have settings in a config file.

> Users do not want config tools. They want to use their scanner,
> and that's it.

I have heared this kind of "the hardware must simply work"
wishes many many times since years and since years there is
a lot of step by step progress but since years there is no
general solution to set up hardware without user interaction.

Please let us be constructive and proceed step by step
instead of wishes which may be implemented in some years.

> Now, if only our beloved vendors could stop their firmware
> crazyness...

Perhaps you are more successful than I to teach the hardware
manufacturers how they should make their devices for those
customers who simply buy the cheapest one.

In fact there would be nothing bad with firmware upload
if the manufacturers provided backends which have the
firmware included (or as external files) and the backend
cares for the firmware upload
or if the manufacturers permit free distribution and
re-distribution of the firmware files so that the firmware
files could be included in the sane-backends or in a special
package of the distributors (if firmware files without source
code cannot be included in sane-backends).

Kind Regards,
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix@suse.de