sane config files [was [sane-devel] Infrared channel]]

m. allan noah anoah@pfeiffer.edu
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:34:22 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Julien BLACHE wrote:

> Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@suse.de> wrote:
>
>>> I think it is constructive to say that some of the existing config
>>> files are of no use today, and could be removed without any problem.
>>
>> Of course!
>> I fully agree to get rid of stuff which is in fact not needed.
>>
>> Nevertheless:
>> For the remaining backends which still need config files
>> it would be good to have a common config file syntax which
>> supports to change them in a safe way by software tools.
>
> Sure, but let's keep something that's human-readable :) (XML or PPD
> aren't human-readable ;)

let me ask this: how many of the config files that must be kept are kept
because they have scanner-specific information in them, as opposed to
backend-specific information?

ie: how many times does a conf file say:

'for any scanners that use this backend, enable feature x"

v/s

'for this particular model of scanner, enable feature x'

v/s

'for this particular serial number, enable feature x'

the reason i ask is that it would seem, based on the name, that only the
first example really belongs in 'backend.conf', where the others belong in
a per-model or per-SN file?

allan