sane config files [was [sane-devel] Infrared channel]]

Julien BLACHE jb@jblache.org
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:51:00 +0100

"m. allan noah" <anoah@pfeiffer.edu> wrote:

>> Don't you think that at least item 1 and 2 can be detected by the
>> backend ?
>
> yes for #1, no for #2 and #3. since some times the same 'model' is
> actually 2 different pieces of hardware. but, i am not familiar with
> every single backend, so i dont know how much this happens.

In this case, the product ID will differ between the 2 hardwares (if
they're totally different, at least), or we can hope so. (talking of
USB here, as for everything else there's really no means to guess)

>   (the serial number might not be accessible by the backend,
>> sure).
>
> if the serial number cant be gotten by the backend, then who can? the
> backend should know how if it is possible at all.

The user, with a pair of eyes :)

>> If we cannot get rid of the config files (there's some experience like
>> the same product ID applying to slightly different hardware), we can
>> at least have a look at them as they are now, see if there are options
>> that can be removed, and try to come up with a unified format.
>
> agreed, though i believe that most users think in terms of the label
> on the scanner not backends, so any config that is required might end
> up being more scanner specific.

Yes. It's always confusing when an Epson scanner ends up being used
with the snapscan backend ;)

How about we ask the vendors to embbed the config file in the scanner ? :P

(and here, we can only realize that the whole scanning world is such a
mess, that we might never find a good solution to handle everything...)

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>
<jb@jblache.org>                                  GPG KeyID 0xF5D65169