sane config files [was [sane-devel] Infrared channel]]

Johannes Meixner jsmeix@suse.de
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:32:45 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Feb 25 09:16 m. allan noah wrote (shortened):
> the problem with this is that doing the config as non-root would mean the
> backend would need elevated permissions in order to write its config out into
> /etc/...
>
> if the user is willing to run the front-end the first time as root, and then
> the backend saves the config changes, that might be ok. otherwise the user
> will have to re-config under each user account.

Perhaps there was a misunderstanding.
I do not want that any user can do config stuff via the normal
SANE frontend - I want to avoid that this happens.
It is perfectly o.k. when config stuff requires root privileges
by default.

Perhaps it is simplest to let root define who is allowed to do
config stuff by setting the appropriate permissions for the
backend config file.

What happens when the backend runs as root (e.g. to access parallel
port scanners as normal user via a local running saned)?
Then a normal user would get write permission for the config file.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix@suse.de