[sane-devel] Installingproblem with parallellportscanner and Sane.

Philip Moller phmo@punkt.se
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 23:47:03 +0100

Hi !

I have major problems installing my scanner with sane.

I have downloaded the latest tarball "sane-backends-1.0.15.tar.gz" at
ftp://ftp.sane-project.org/pub/sane/sane-backends-1.0.15/,
decompressed the tarball (tar -xvzf sane-backends-1.0.15.tar.gz) and I
compiled and installed (./configure, make, make install)
sane-backends-1.0.15.

My parallelportscanner is old, but it works fine i Windows98 with
TWAIN, so there is no problem with the scanner's functionality and the
connection with the computer.
My printer Canon S750, that is connected at the same parallelport as the
scanner, is working fine in Linux.
My printer S750 is connected to the scanner and the scanner is
connected to the parallelport in the computer.
The PRINTER works fine in Linux and in Windows98 the scanner+printer
works fine too.
The only problem is the scanner, that wont work at all for me in Linux ?

My computer data :
i686 Pentium III (Coppermine), RAM 128MB, HDD 9GB.
Linux version: Fedora Core 3 (2.6.10-1.766_FC3) (gcc version 3.4.2
20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3))
My scanner data :
Mustek Plug&Scan 600 III EP Plus
300 DPI, CCD(101x/0x), EPP, ASICID:1013/1015, CCDTYPE: 00/01

I have printed out and read the documentation on
http://penguin-breeder.org/sane/mustek_pp/
and followed the instruction, step by step.

When I print "sane-find-scanner -p" in the console, I get this:

[root] # sane-find-scanner -p
found possible Mustek parallel port scanner at "parport0"

So, "sane-find-scanner" detects my scanner...

But when I print "SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK_PP=1 scanimage -L", I get this:

[root] # SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK_PP=1 scanimage -L
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of mustek_pp to 1.

I am waiting !!!
Here it freezes, nothing happends ....

I have enabled the mustek_pp backend in my dll.conf, with removal of the
# sign in front of it.

I have also adjusted the mustek_pp.conf file to reflect my hardware
setup (scanner mustek-ccd300 * ccd300).

So my config files are ok.

I don't have a second installation of sane (with its own config files),
so that isn't the problem.

Please, I could use some expert advice...

What can I do, to get the scanner working with Sane ?
Experts ! please help me ...

Sincerely,
Philip Moller
Sweden.