Please remove hpusbscsi Was: [sane-devel] HP 7450C, hpusbscsi, permissions in Fedora Core 3

Rene Rebe rene@exactcode.de
Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:15:25 +0100

Hi,

we should remove hpusbscsi from the Kernel. It is long obsolete and very
unstable. I can send a patch for 2.4 and 2.6 (if needed) ;-)

George Garvey wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 10:11:30PM -0800, Thomas Frayne wrote:

>    As far as I know, Rene has made it pretty clear he doesn't want to
> use hpusbscsi with the avision driver. He prefers libusb.

Yes. Hpusbscsi has many drawbacks. The major ones are:

  - does not work with new scanners (that are designed for USB 2.0)
  - it is highly instable (e.g. during an i/o error it locks up
    quite easily and leaves the (usb sub-)system in a state that
    needs a reboot ...

The later problem made me add the user-space i/o code to the
SANE/Avision backend, because I had to reboot my system every 5 minutes
during development ...

Yours,

--
René Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
             http://www.exactcode.de | http://www.exactcode.de/t2