[sane-devel] Re: epson 2400 photo: scanimage -L error

r k roland19955@yahoo.com
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:23:16 -0800 (PST)

I wrote:
>> My problem is that sane-find-scanner finds my
scanner,
>> but scanimage -L doesn't.
>> Also, after setting debug variables,
sane-find-scanner
>> shows debug output, but scanimage doesn't.

Henning responded:
> Yes, this will produce debug output. If it doesn't,
> your SANE installation is severely broken.

Henning, Thanks for your support. Here is in short how
I fixed it.

- The new Knoppix 3.7 CD of dec 2004 has scanimage
working on linux 2.6.9. So I got proof that it is
possible, as Knoppix is a debian installation, like
mine. (On earlier Knoppix CD's, it only worked for
linux-2.4)
- It started to work on my other linux box, that is
fairly new, after upgrading to linux-2.6.10. I don't
know why, though.
- I found a severe difference between my two linux
boxes, that I upgraded to the same debian sarge:
scanimage --version shows:
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.15; backend version
1.0.15 on the good machine, but:
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.15; backend version
1.0.4 on the bad one!
- Because all debian packages where at the exact same
version on both machines, I started looking at the
'sum' of the scanimage executables and at the loaded
libraries (using ldd). At the bad machine:
  ldd /usr/bin/scanimage
   libsane.so.1 => /usr/lib/sane/libsane.so.1
      ->libsane-v4l.so.1.0.15
but on the good one to: libsane.so.1.0.15

After correcting this difference, scanning works just
fine!

I don't know how the error originated, but a machine
that I am using for over a year collects a lot of
software debris (bit rot?). Perhaps I compiled parts
of sane a long time ago in an effort to get a scsi
scanner to work (in vain). Anyway, just relying on
scanimage --test did not help me in any way.

I definitely wish no one else my problems, but just in
case I post my solution.

Folks, thanks for your support,

Greetings, Roland