Please remove hpusbscsi Was: [sane-devel] HP 7450C, hpusbscsi, permissions in Fedora Core 3

Mart van de Wege mvdwege@wanadoo.nl
Mon, 03 Jan 2005 22:13:59 +0100

Rene Rebe <rene@exactcode.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> we should remove hpusbscsi from the Kernel. It is long obsolete and
> very unstable. I can send a patch for 2.4 and 2.6 (if needed) ;-)
>
> George Garvey wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 10:11:30PM -0800, Thomas Frayne wrote:

>>    As far as I know, Rene has made it pretty clear he doesn't want to
>> use hpusbscsi with the avision driver. He prefers libusb.
>
> Yes. Hpusbscsi has many drawbacks. The major ones are:
>
>   - does not work with new scanners (that are designed for USB 2.0)
>   - it is highly instable (e.g. during an i/o error it locks up
>     quite easily and leaves the (usb sub-)system in a state that
>     needs a reboot ...
>
> The later problem made me add the user-space i/o code to the
> SANE/Avision backend, because I had to reboot my system every 5
> minutes during development ...

And thank you for that.

The Minolta film scanner I bought turns out to be a temperamental
beast. If I cancel a scan operation at the wrong time, it's time for
the 'hard scanner reset->/etc/init.d/hotplug restart' cycle again. I
would hate to think of having to reboot each time.

Mart

--- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.