[sane-devel] DIN-A3 Scanners supported by SANE

Rene Rebe rene@exactcode.de
Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:30:15 +0100

Hi,

Andreas Piening wrote:

> I'm realy impressed by the quick and helpful answers, thank you very
> much!
>
> I took a closer look at the Epson GT-30000 and the Avision @V5100. The
> Problem I have with the Avision: It has many features that I don't need
> like the standalone connection to a printer for copying, faxing etc. I
> can't use this features because I need cost-control, for example every
> page printed / copied or scanned must be send to a SAP backend and the
> print-quota of a user must be watched etc. Printing over IEEE 1284 does
> not sound like a professional solution where every second waiting for
> the paper to come out is money.
> I need a professional color- scanner/printer duo, which is fast in every
> operation and good in quality, too. The whole system will be controlable
> via a touchscreen-display-interface and the System should: Copy, Scan,
> Print, Scan to PDF/jpg, Burn to CD/DVD, send via eMail, save at webspace
> (FTP) and maybe more. All costs must costs must be cleared by the user.

Well if you need a duo (aka. combo scan/print) device I think you'll not
find one from Avision - sorry ... :-(

> But the price of the Avision @V5100 is not higher than the GT-30000, so
> it is possible to hide the user-interface integrated in the Scanner and
> use it as a "scanner-only" peripheral. If the sane support is better (I
> think about the duplex unit) maybe this is a way.

I think the parallel output is not accessible from the host computer ... :-(

> The Other thing is: Which interface to choose? I need to engineer the
> fastest solution possible, so I think SCSI is the fastest, am I right?
> Is the sane-backend so "abstract" that it can handle the scanner at
> USB/SCSI/FireWire or no matter what, or do I need special support for
> the interface?

USB 2.0 and Firewire are quite fast, too. Firewire has up to 400 or 800
MBit/s and USB 2.0 480MBit or so ...

Yours,

--
René Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
             http://www.exactcode.de | http://www.exactcode.de/t2