[sane-devel] bubblegum colours from Umax Astra 600S

Robert Persson ireneshusband@fastmail.fm
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:46:51 -0800

I am having trouble with the quality of scans from a Umax Astra 600S and would
be very grateful if anybody could tell me:
(a) how to solve the problem
(b) whether I can be confident that I won't have the same problem if I buy a
new budget-priced scanner that is supposed to be supported in Sane.

The scanner is connected to a Power Mac 8600 running Ubuntu Warty.

The problem is that, while the previews look OK (or perhaps a little dark) the
scans are way too bright, to the point of being washed out.  The discrepancy
between the preview and the scan is so great that, in order to get a
tolerably accurate scan the preview has to be darkened until it is too black
to see.

The problem is definitely with the backend because I can reproduce it when I
scan over the network into Photoshop running on my wife's OS X Powerbook.

The problem does not occur when using Umax's own drivers in Mac OS 9.  In
other words the colours of the preview are the same as the colours of the
scan.

Many thanks
Robert
--