[sane-devel] epson 3170 support?

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf@epkowa.co.jp
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:16:45 +0900

alex <latengoyo@wanadoo.es> writes:

> En/na Russ ha escrit:
>
>           On Monday 10 January 2005 03:03 am, alex bazan wrote:
>

>                     I bought Epson 3170 perfection after seeing in a linux-mandrake page it
> was supported (i should have checked sane list instead)...
>
> I had trouble installing it, but now it works with epkowa drivers.
>
> It worries me that gimp2 cannot access the epkowa plugin.
>
> I can still return it, but first i would like to know if there are plans
> for sane to support this scanner.
>
> thanks in advance.
> alex.
>

>      Are you sure GIMP2 won't support the epkowa drivers, I have an epson cx6600
> running with the epkowa driver and can access it from GIMP2. I do have to do
> it by logging in, starting my printer (turn 0n) then starting GIMP, it starts
> scanner about half way thru the startup. Have not tryed it from GIMP after it
> is running without the bove steps.
>

> yesterday gimp showed me an error when i launched iscan. today it does nothing
> and the error does not show up.

The iscan frontend does not (yet) support GIMP2.  You should be able
to use the epkowa backend through other SANE frontends, though.

> on the other hand, xsane doesn't detect me the epkowa backend... it says there
> are no devices...
> i can't understand why is kooka working (but it's great it does work!!!!) :)
> if i follow the procedure you describe (turning on the scanner before gimp) no
> program (including iscan) can access the scanner. it seems that for getting
> iscan and kooka working the scanner needs to powered on before booting the
> computer...

This is probably just a normal access permissions problem.  If your
sane-backends package provides the libusbscanner script (probably in
/etc/hotplug/usb) than you should check whether you have the following
in your libsane.usermap (in the same directory).

  # Epson Corp.|Perfection 3170 Photo (GT-9400)
  libusbscanner             0x0003      0x04b8   0x0116    0x0000       0x0000       0x00         0x00            0x00            0x00            0x00               0x00               0x00000000

Note, that is one big long line.  If it is not already there, adding
it may fix your problems.

--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, PF1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/