[sane-devel] Canon LIDA x0 - newbie question

Gerhard Jaeger gerhard@gjaeger.de
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:36:08 +0100

Hi,

On Tuesday 11 January 2005 20:14, Doug Mounce wrote:
> Sorry to interject, but I have a Canon LiDE30 USB that doesn't seem to
> be supported by sane drivers on the Mac OS X.  Can I confirm that idea?

No - the scanner is supported.

> scanimage locks-up the scanner after moving the scan bar about half-way
> down the page.

What do you mean by "locks-up" - does the scan bar return to the
home position or not?
If you only call scanimage without any further options, then the
scanarea is pretty small.

> scanimage -L returns this message:
>
> device `plustek:libusb:001:002-04a9-220e-ff-00' is a Canon
> N1240U/LiDE30 USB flatbed scanner

Looks good.

> I didn't understand how to read the backend's man page, or if adjusting
> access permissions was recommended.  I don't really know where the
> backend files might be.

As the scan-head moves, there's no need to tweak anything.

> /usr/local/etc/sane.d/  contains these lines:
>
> #canon.conf
> /dev/scanner
> #/dev/sg0

This is completely wrong - the LiDE30 is supported by the plustek backend
and not by the canon backend - so you need to look at the plustek.conf
file - somewhat confusing I know ;)

> I am new to device drivers and sane, and I haven't gotten any scanner
> to work with SANE.  (An HP device advertised as supported by the Mac OS
> X backends did seem to go a little further with the scan bar, but never
> collected an image file that I could open.)  You might laugh (or
> cringe) that I started looking at SANE in order to get a Ricoh IS420
> high volume scanner working by converting SCSI-2 signals to firewire.
>
> Any advice or confirmation would be greatly appreciated, regards, Doug.

Please checkout, that you're using the latest stuff for MacOSX @
http://www.ellert.se/twain-sane/

Ciao,
Gerhard