[sane-devel] Microtek ScanMaker 3840 driver available

Earle F. Philhower, III earlephilhower@yahoo.com
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:21:42 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

I've reverse-engineered the Microtek ScanMaker 3840 Windows driver and written
a SANE driver to control it from Linux.  I've done pretty extensive testing
locally (XSane/tstbackend -l3) and remotely (saned on my Devil-Linux server and
SANETwain under Windows) and not found any problems.

Calibrated 8- and 16-bit color and grayscale are supported, with all dpi
settings from 150 to 1200.  I've only got an INTC Fedora Core 3 machine to run
it on, but I believe that I've put in hooks to handle Motorola byte ordering
and 64-bittedness.  It may work with other SCAN08 based Microteks (38xx?) but I
don't have their USB IDs and have no way of testing.

I've put patches (against sane-backends-1.0.15) and the new source files online
at
http://www.ziplabel.com/sm3840/

Any feedback appreciated, if it works well I'd like to see about adding it into
the standard SANE distribution...

-Earle F. Philhower, III
 earle@ziplabel.com