[sane-devel] Epson perfection 4870 - gamma and brightness in 16bit mode

Richard Beare Richard.Beare@csiro.au
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:58:36 +1100

Hello,

I have an Epson perfection 4870 photo (aka GT-X700). I'm trying to use
it in what is possibly an unusual way. I seem to be able to get most of
what I want using xsane, but not using scanimage. I need to use
something commandline oriented in the end in order to automate some of
the steps.

Here's the problem at the moment:

I want to scan using 16bit colour mode. I'd like to scan with a gamma of
1. I'm testing the process at the moment by imaging a set of 4
reflectance standards (spectralon with 99%, 50%, 25% and 12% reflectance).

When using xsane I can set the gamma to zero and the reduce the
brightness. This gives a linear response with reflectance (confirmed by
plotting it). The 99% reflectance region also has pixel values below
65535 - this is important in order to verify that there is no saturation.

I have no luck trying to reproduce this behaviour using scanimage. Using
--gamma-correction "User Defined" in isolation gives a close to linear
response, but doesn't seem the correct thing to do. I can't see any way
to define 16bit gamma tables to apply through the --red-gamma-table
option. Am I missing something here?

The other problem is how to explicitly set the "exposure" - I'd like to
be able to establish some settings that image the reflectance targets
such that the 99% target is a little bit lower than 65535 and then keep
these settings while I image other objects. Is this feasable, or is the
only option to keep the spectral target in the field of view while
imaging the other objects?

I'm using sane backend version 1.0.15.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

--
Richard Beare, CSIRO Mathematical & Information Sciences
Locked Bag 17, North Ryde, NSW 1670, Australia

Richard.Beare@csiro.au