[sane-devel] problems with 2.6.10 kernel

Scott gnea@garson.org
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 03:09:20 -0600

Hey Bill, I noticed a similar problem with usb in general with the
upgrade of 2.6.10, which doesn't read /etc/fstab properly.  The solution
that I've been able to come up with so far is nothing more than a hack.
Still searching for the proper solution....

this is in /etc/fstab:
none            /proc/bus/usb           usbfs   defaults        0 0

after a reboot, simply issue this command: mount /proc/bus/usb in order
for lsusb to read what's connected.  You will have to restart
usbmgr/hotplug and any associated daemons (cups, hpoj, etc).  Hope this
helps...
-Scott

* bil@beeb.net (bil@beeb.net) cobbled forth:
> Hi,
> I've been using xsane on my IBM Thinkpad for quite a while with no problems.
> Running kernel 2.6.7 until last week when I upgraded to 2.6.10.
> I now find that (x)sane is unable to locate my scanner -
> and Epsom Perfection 1240U. Looking into it further I find that the
> usbdevfs fails to mount at boot-up, although my usb mouse is working
> fine. The error message in the log says 'usbdevfs not supported in kernel'.
> I have checked the .config file and there is an entry:
> #define USB_DEVICEFS=y
> which I presume is the relevant one. Can anyone suggest anything that
> I can check, or, if this is not the right place to ask, which e-mail
> list is relevant?
>
> Many thanks,
> Bill

         .oO Gnea [gnea at garson dot org] Oo.
            .oO url [http://gnea.net] Oo.

"You can tune a filesystem, but you can't tune a fish." -Kirk McKusick