[sane-devel] sane-umax-1.0.13 ???

Wolfram Heider wolframheider@web.de
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:52:17 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 27. Januar 2005 21:01 schrieb M. Paula Schiaffino:
> Hi:
> I=B4m trying to install my scanner umax astra 1220S (Domex scsi) on Linux
> (Mandrake 10) and need some help. As I=B4ve understood, I need both the s=
ane
> backends (which I have already downloaded =A8sane-backends-1.0.15.tar.gz=
=A8
> from http://www.sane-project.org/source.html) and the file sane-umax which
> uses the previous one. I=B4ve looked for sane-umax-1.0.4-build-25.tar.gz =
or
> similar (like sane-umax-1.0.13) but I can=B4t find any place from where I=
 can
> download it. Please, I would like you to send this file to me or, if I
> misunderstood and these are not the correct steps, could you tell me how
> can I install my scanner? Thank you very much.
>
> Best regards
> Paula

Hello Paula,

the frontends like commandline or GUI programs  (scanimage, xscanimage, xsa=
ne=20
and so on) are fully independent of the backend drivers. And for the Umax=20
Astra 1220 S you don't need a sane-package with a special versionnumber,=20
anyone will work. Take simply the most recent one. With it it will come the=
=20
commandline frontend scanimage. Having installed the package (with "./=20
configure, make and make install") type "scanimage -L"  on the command line=
=20
and you should see something similar as

"device `umax:/dev/scanner' is a UMAX     Astra 1220S      flatbed scanner

if not, maybe a link should be set by typing "ln -s /dev/sg0 /dev/scanner".

Then it should work. And with sane-find-scanner on the commandline you shou=
ld=20
get something like

"found SCSI scanner "UMAX Astra 1220S V1.3" at /dev/scanner
 found SCSI scanner "UMAX Astra 1220S V1.3" at /dev/sg0"

If you can connect to the scanner only as root, the permissions should be=20
adjusted.

If nothing works, have a look at the dll.conf file in /etc/sane.d=20
(or /usr/local/etc) and secure that "umax" is uncommented. Finally you may=
=20
check whether your scsi-controller is recognized and fuelled with an=20
appropriate driver module at boottime. The controller needs its own driver=
=20
from the start on (this is a problem of its own and has directly nothing to=
=20
do with sane).

As a graphical frontend for sane xsane is highly recommendable. It's to be=
=20
installed separately and can be plugged into Gimp.

To simplify the sane-installation you could try to get a rpm-package (must =
fit=20
to your distribution and distri-version-number). The mandrake-server should=
=20
provide the right one.

Last but not least the sane project is very well documented and you can get=
 in=20
depth information for umax-scanners in the documentation which comes with t=
he=20
package. On my machine it resides in=20
" /usr/share/doc/packages/sane/sane-backends/umax/sane-umax-vista-doc.html".
Maybe on yours it's to be found somewhere in the doc-directory in /usr/loca=
l.

Greetings and good luck

Wolfram Heider