[sane-devel] a second try

Dieter Jurzitza dieter.jurzitza at t-online.de
Sun Jul 24 19:50:08 UTC 2005

Dear listmembers,
a second try. I have an old Mustek SCSI-Scanner that used to work smoothly
with my old SuSE 8.1 and kernel 2.4.

Now I have SuSE 9.3 and kernel 2.6.11, and I have some trouble.
The scanner is connected to a separate AHA 2940 card (I tested different
ones). Termination is set to auto. Disconnecting is disabled, the scanner is
followed by a IOMEGA ZIP SCSI-drive (which works totally flawlessly) at the
end of this SCSI bus there is an active termination resistor.

When the scanner is "awake" I have no issues at all. However, as soon as the
scanner falls asleep and I try to scan something I get troubles.
Attached I send a part of the contents of /var/log/messages and the output of
the commands:

export SANE_DEBUG_DLL=128
export SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK=128
export SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=128
/usr/bin/scanimage -L > /var/log/scannerdebug 2>&1
/usr/bin/scanimage -T >> /var/log/scannerdebug 2>&1

The SCSI-system shows a timeout - I haven't experienced similar issues during
years, so what might cause this.

In /etc/sane.d/mustek.conf I readily activated "option force-wait" to assure
that the scanner is being waited for. But no success so far.

Please excuse the "bzip". The file scannerdebug.bz2 has 57kBytes when
uncompressed, but there is a size limit on the list, so I compressed both.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Any suggestions / ideas are highly appreciated!
Many thanks in advance,
take care

Dieter Jurzitza

                                \

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)