[sane-devel] Problem compiling 07-30 snapshot of backends

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sun Jul 31 11:39:04 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 10:45:43PM -0500, Miguel Bazdresch wrote:
> I just tried compiling today's (July 30th) snapshot of the SANE
> backends. It works for the most part, except that it doesn't install
> the /usr/lib/libsane* libraries.

I noticed that yesterday. The bug was introduced by me applying
the zeta patch and not noticing a failed hunk in backend/Makefile.in
two weeks ago.

It installs the libraries to /usr/(local/)lib/sane/ but forgets to
install libsane.so itsself in /usr/(local/)lib/ . So the backends are
there but without libsane beeing in the right directory they can't be
loaded.

The config files aren't installed either.

> It does install a bunch of libraries in /usr/bin/sane.

I hope you mean "/usr/lib/sane".

> I have been unable to figure out why those libs are not being
> installed. Any pointers are highly appreciated.I have put a full build
> log in http://thewizardstower.org/sane.log.

Some lines were missing in backend/Makefile.in. The bug is fixed in
CVS. The latest snapshot should work, please try that one.

I'm a bit surprised that this hasn't been noticed earlier. The bug is
only visible if sane hasn't been installed before but still I'd
expected more people testing sane-backends and finding such bugs.