[sane-devel] Re: Good office scanners with ADF support?

T. Ribbrock emgaron@gmx.net
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 11:04:39 +0200

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 04:24:04PM -0400, Philip J. Hollenback wrote:

[HP 7450C]

Eeewww... Don't ask our secretaries what they think of this scanner...
:-/

> However, now that I've tested this scanner, I've found a few issues.
> Chief among them is that this scanner goes to sleep after 15 minutes
> of inactivity, and it can't be woken up without a power cycle.

It has the same problem under Windows here - major pain in the
proverbial.

> I've been discussing this with the Avision backed developer Rene and
> he believes this is fixable.  Thus this scanner might turn out to be a
> good solution.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but if I'm to believe our
secretaries, that scanner has other downsides. The transport mechanism
of the ADF doesn't seem to be very reliable - our secretaries have
frequent problems with papaer jams and half scanned pages. It has been
cleaned and readjusted several times by now but doesn't seem to be able
to take the daily beating of an office environment for long.

We also have a HP6250 with ADF sitting next to it - much less hassle with
the driver, but same - if not worse - mechanical problems with the ADF.

> I thought it wouldn't hurt, though, to at least ask this list.  Does
> anyone have any recommendations for a scanner with a 50 page ADF and
> good SANE support other than the HP 7450C?  I don't see much else that
> looks promising on the SANE homepage except maybe one of the Agfa
> SnapScans?

Yup, I'd be interested in that answer, too. :-}

Cheerio,

Thomas
                Thomas Ribbrock    http://www.ribbrock.org