[sane-devel] Re: Good office scanners with ADF support?

Philip J. Hollenback phil@telemetry-investments.com
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 08:38:07 -0400

On 06/01/05, T. Ribbrock wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 04:24:04PM -0400, Philip J. Hollenback wrote:
>
> [HP 7450C]
>
> Eeewww... Don't ask our secretaries what they think of this scanner...
> :-/
>
> > However, now that I've tested this scanner, I've found a few issues.
> > Chief among them is that this scanner goes to sleep after 15 minutes
> > of inactivity, and it can't be woken up without a power cycle.
>
> It has the same problem under Windows here - major pain in the
> proverbial.

Well, good to know it's not just Linux.

> > I've been discussing this with the Avision backed developer Rene and
> > he believes this is fixable.  Thus this scanner might turn out to be a
> > good solution.
>
> I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but if I'm to believe our
> secretaries, that scanner has other downsides. The transport mechanism
> of the ADF doesn't seem to be very reliable - our secretaries have
> frequent problems with papaer jams and half scanned pages. It has been
> cleaned and readjusted several times by now but doesn't seem to be able
> to take the daily beating of an office environment for long.
>
> We also have a HP6250 with ADF sitting next to it - much less hassle with
> the driver, but same - if not worse - mechanical problems with the ADF.

One thing I noticed when I opened up the ADF on the 7450 is that there
are feed rollers on only the left side and none in the middle or on
the right.  It seems that this could easily lead to pages getting
twisted and jammed in the scanner.

I hope this isn't another case where HP outsourced and ended
up with an inferior product.  If I could get one of those old
indestructible HP ScanJet IIs or something with a big ADF I would
probably be happy.

Or maybe there just aren't any good scanners with ADFs out there?
That seems unlikely.

Thanks,
P.

--