[sane-devel] Good office scanners with ADF support?

Philip J. Hollenback phil@telemetry-investments.com
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 09:05:14 -0400

On 06/01/05, Louis-Dominique Dubeau wrote:
> "Philip J. Hollenback" <phil@telemetry-investments.com> writes:
>
> > I thought it wouldn't hurt, though, to at least ask this list.  Does
> > anyone have any recommendations for a scanner with a 50 page ADF and
> > good SANE support other than the HP 7450C?  I don't see much else that
> > looks promising on the SANE homepage except maybe one of the Agfa
> > SnapScans?
>
> I have one recommendation AGAINST a specific model: the HP 5550c
> (which is currently not supported by SANE anyway).  This is the first
> and only scanner I've owned so I don't have good points of comparison
> with other scanners but if the ADF is a must for you, don't go with
> this model.  Its ADF doesn't work properly, period.  Actual jams
> (where everything stops) are not frequent but it happens way too often
> that it feeds two pages together.  That totally screws up whatever
> batch of pages was supposed to be scanned.  It's a new machine so
> there's no reason for this nonsense other than technical ineptitude on
> HP's part.

Well, that's certainly good info.  It's my sense that all of these
'HP' scanners with ADFs are rebranded from other vendors.  I suspect
if HP actually designed the ADF it would probably work a lot better.

P.

--
Philip J. Hollenback
Telemetry Investments