[sane-devel] Re: Good office scanners with ADF support?

Louis-Dominique Dubeau ldd@lddubeau.com
Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:51:30 -0400

"m. allan noah" <anoah@pfeiffer.edu> writes:

>> Or maybe there just aren't any good scanners with ADFs out there?
>> That seems unlikely.
>>

> depends entirely on how much you want to spend.

Quite right!  I used to work for a company that does high volume
scanning.  We were able to find excellent high-speed scanners with
perfectly working ADFs but they would cost a few thousand dollars.
That was justifiable for high volume jobs.  (Unfortunately, I don't
have details of brands and models since I was not responsible for
hardware selection.)

My disapointment with the HP 5550c led me to a good deal of reflexion.
One could assert that it is unrealistic to expect to get a good
scanner with a perfectly working ADF for a few hundred bucks.  (I'm
not saying anybody here is actually asserting this.)  But if it is the
case, then why are scanner-makers offering units that purport to be
just that: a good scanner with a perfectly working ADF for a few
hundred bucks?

Ciao,
Louis