[sane-devel] Re: FW: canon630u's gl640 forked for CanoScan3000 and others?

amth@suomi24.fi amth@suomi24.fi
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 10:32:50 +0300

>> And it's kinda funny that both canon630u and niash have HP ScanJet
>> 3300C backend at least partly defined, which one is the actually
>> working one, or both? :-)
>
>The niash backend works, it was specifically written to support the
>HP3300c.

OK, so I'll skip of looking into tthe canon630u for those bits.

>> At least gl640/gl660 should be separated (and shared by backends
>> mentioned above) so it would make it simpler to just #include
>> necessary interface chip communication protocols, perfect example
>> being lm9830.h (part of canon630u funnily enough) and niash_xfer.h
>> that seems to be a partial GL640 implementation compared to
>> canon630u-common.c or u12-io.c...
>
>lm9830.h? Seems highly scanner specific to me....
>I agree that it would be nice to have common code for the parallel-
>usb bridges.

My idea was of course to maybe make chip-specific .h-files instead of sca=
nner-specific
chip or chip-combo backends.

It should be pretty straight forward to cut'n'paste chip-register stuff
to .h files and just make #include lines on all effected backends. (?)

>BTW, the HP3300c has a NIPEDC0804, not a GL640.
>It has two rows of 20 pins along bottom and top edge. It has a 12.000
>MHz crystal mounted close to it. This chip was mentioned as an
>'interface' chip on an electronics web page.

Well, my interest on HP3300C was mainly as it was mentioned on both canon=
630u
and niash, but if I understand HP3300C that NIPEDC0804 is just a USB-EPP
converter chip, just like GL640/GL660, so no major differences.

>When I initially wrote the niash backend, I wanted to mimic the
>windows driver as good as possible, so I implemented its exact
>behaviour. There seem to be some minor (but important) differences
>between parallel-USB bridges. For example the 8-byte sequence that
>is used to initiate a bulk transfer is a little different between
>the HP3300c and HP3400c.

Actually I have been admiring the niash-backend for the "wholesom" of the=

port for some time, for example is the niash the only one even trying to
implement those pesky front-buttons on the front of the scanner (CanoScan=
3000F
also has four of them) as I can't seem to find any valuable code elsewher=
for such functionality (maybe haven't just digged far enought yet)?

>> As far as I can see (up to looking into GL660's pins 24 and 26 to see
>> it's hardwired to IEEE-1284 mode) that why CanoScan 3000 and some of
>> the others do report themself's slightly differently is because they
>> simply have slightly differently offsetted registers. ;-)
>
>What do you mean by offsetted registers? Which registers are they?

Just register "blocks" that are shifted from one memory location to other=

place, in blocks... ?!?

>I think that the functionality to talk to the USB-parallel bridge
>should be strictly separated from any scanner specific functions,
>otherwise I foresee an #ifdef jungle.. :)

I 100% agree, there is already some jungle-code, so clearing some of the
stuff to usb2epp.h/usb2epp.c or similar grouping file(s) would be great.

Or maybe even the scanner-chip drivers could be separated (similarry as
in that lm9830.h)?

--
amth