[sane-devel] MICR/OCR document scanner support ?

Ritesh Satia riteshsatia@softhome.net
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 20:58:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

I am a new in this world of scanners and have to
provide support for a MICR/OCR document
scanner(details given below) on Linux.

Does Linux has support of MICR Readers or some
framework to support them ?

Can SANE framework be used for supporting MICR/OCR
readers ?

Can someone guide me to the right mailing list if this
is not the right mailing list for asking doubts on
MICR scanners ?

Thanks,
Ritesh Satia

Device Information can be collected from :
http://www.aplabbankingautomation.com/products/micr-06.htm

A Brief Summary of it:

DOCUMENT READER - SCANNER  LS100
The LS 100 is a peripheral suited to handle banking
documents. It can read MICR CMC7/E13B or OCR code
lines and scan both sides of the document. Options
include a high-resolution ink-jet printer working on
the back side of the document and a self-inking front
stamp, as well as a magnetic badge reader.

Connection to the system is by USB,

Technical Specifications
Basic Unit
* Manual Drop Document Feeding.
* Front Imaging Camera.
* MICR (CMC7/E13B) Reader.
* OCR Reading (by Software, on Document Image).
* Collecting Bin (Capacity of 5 Documents).
Document Specifications
* Length : 100-216 mm.
* Height : 50-105 mm. [Image Height : max 106 mm; the
unit can handle documents up to 106mm].
* Image Resolution : 101.6 or 203.2 dpi 16 or 256
Shades of Gray.
* Thickness : 0.07-0.10 mm.
* Weight : 70-110 gr./sqm.
Paper Handling
* Single Document Feeding.
* Reading Speed : 200 or 500mm./sec.
* Memory Buffer for upto 5 Document Images.
* Throughput : Upto 900 docs./hour.

Host Connections
USB, (RS232C, Ethernet)*.
Power Supply