[sane-devel] Scanning Time Question

Johannes Berg johannes@sipsolutions.net
Thu, 09 Jun 2005 19:29:25 +0200

--=-hoVIH9nrX2io8lBFh1mw

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 12:22 +0200, Spiro Angeli wrote:

> Approaching 15000 pictures 35mm I wish to know,=20

Wow :)

> for those who already have the=20
> scanner (I am thinking to purchase a Nikon LS 4000 or LS 5000) how is the=
=20
> scanning process.

the LS5000 isn't currently supported by sane.

> If I say I have 50 pictures to scan, how do you handle the scanning proce=
ss?=20
> Is it possible to scan x number of pictures, holding them in memory and t=
hen=20
> save them to the disk all at once or do I have to scan and save, scan and=
=20
> save?

You'll probably want to write a script/program that scans an image and
saves it to disk while the next one scans. That way, you don't need gigs
of memory but the scanner need not wait for the disk, nor the other way
around. An image scanned with the LS5000 would probably approach 60megs
or so.

> I am trying to understand what is that I will be faced with. I am also tr=
ying=20
> to figure out how much time it will take for me to scan pictures, and am=20
> trying to figure out how to standardize the process of manually scanning =
all=20
> these pictures.

In what format are they? slides? negatives?

> I know that scanning time depends on the depth of the scanned picture. Bu=
t is=20
> there a table that shows based on the depth of color and bits what is the=
=20
> time needed for the device to scan and save?

There's a table here:
http://filmscanner.info/NikonSuperCoolscan5000ED.html

Scroll down all the way to the bottom, then up until you hit the tables.
Just a few things: 'ohne' =3D without, 'mit' =3D with, 'Bild'=3Dpicture,
'Bilder'=3Dpictures, 'Stunde' =3D hour, 'Dia' =3D slide, 'Stapel'=3Dbatch,
'Vorschau'=3Dpreview, 'Einzel'=3Dsingle, 'Belichtung'=3Dexposure. (Now you
should be able to understand the tables)

johannes

--=-hoVIH9nrX2io8lBFh1mw

--=-hoVIH9nrX2io8lBFh1mw--