[sane-devel] Scanning Time Question]

Spiro Angeli Spiro@siriush.com
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:57:39 +0200

Hi  johannes,

Yes, It is a big progect I have to work on.
Pictures are all 35mm of set of 4 per negative. They are not ( unfortunately )
on a roll.
Yes, writing a script would be super. I would have to learn this first.
But, as for model, if Nikon LS 5000 is not supported I think I will choose
Nikon LS 4000 (which by now is well supported) as also comes with a rebate
which makes it affordable.
As for application, because I am unable to run Nikon original software under
Gentoo Linux, I was thinking of  http://www.hamrick.com/ VueScan as offering
the same and more features than what Nicon offers. Do you know anything about
this or do you think gimps would be fine? Anything else to advice as
application?
As for format, I do not know yet. I assume it will be either jpeg or tiff. I
think jpeg with a good resolution would be sufficient. It is not only for
displaying on the monitor but also for prints. They have told me that
nowadays, even a jpeg can be a good graphic format as long as it is well
scanned.
As for space, once I decided the file format and the compression I can figure
out how much disk space I will need.

I like a lot the idea of the script that in the background while scanning the
next picture save the previous one.

Summing up, as of now, I have the idea of purchasing the Nikon 4000, with
slides accessory (as I also have 300 slides) and perhaps VueScan software.
There is a new Epson scanner PhotoPC F-3200 which I do not know well but it
does not show up in the compatibility list.

Do you know if VueScan still needs SANE as backend?

LAST QUESTION: Any time I have to submit/reply an email, I mail it, it gest on
hold, and then it is sent to the mailing list. Is there a way to eliminate
the hold process, so that when I need help, I just write to
sane-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org and it gets posted?

Thank you so much for the help.!
Spiro