[sane-devel] hp 5200c usb problem

Gerald Murray gmurray@cloudnet.com
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 02:25:35 -0500

T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=12  MxC=
    ^^^^^^                               ^^^^^^^^
    bus is 001/002 device

>What do I do?
>I use kernel 2.6.7 and hotplug to manage permissions. However hotplug has s
ome
>problems: It cannot chown and chmod of /proc/bus/usb/001/003 which might be
>my scanner device. (I think it should be 001:001). I don't always get this

You do need to get the permissions set on the right device.
In the procfs, the T: line identifys the device and provides information.
You do not have to guess in the sysfs either.  This command
will list all the device numbers first, followed (in the same order)
by idVendor or idProduct (by manufacturer may fail because some do not
supply their name.  idVendor and idProduct are required by USB specifications)

cat /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/{devnum,idVendor}

>From the sane-project site:

Support for models 5200C/62X0C/63X0C connected to the USB  require  the
kernel scanner driver or libusb. See sane-usb(5) for more details.

Best regards,

Gerald