[sane-devel] network scanning

John (yt) Hogenmiller John (yt) Hogenmiller" <ytjohn@gmail.com
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:01:29 -0400

Hi,

I would like to setup a multi-function device (printer/scanner) to
work off of the network.  I'm looking at an Epson Stylus CX5400
because of some reviews and it appears to be well supported in linux
(both the scanner and the printer).  However, I am well open to
suggestions.  For inkjet, I'm looking at the < $250 range, but I am
also interested in color lasers under $500 if one could be found.

I have a building with about 15 computers networked, and I'd like to
share both the printing and scanning capabilities.

1.  While most of the computers are (debian) linux 2.4.xx based,
interlopers occasionally bring in their windows based laptops.  I'm
not too concerned if they can't scan, but it would be "a nice thing"
if they had that option.

2. I'd like to avoid having to have a computer physically connected to
the printer/scanner if at all possible.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on how to accomplish this.  Does
anyone have experience doing this?  Is there perhaps a printer/scanner
out there that has built-in networking capabilities and is supported
by linux? Is there a scanner server (like a network/usb print server)
device that would allow me to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given.

-John

--=20
YourTech, LLC - http://yourtech.us/
(this account is used for mailing lists)