[sane-devel] [ANN] Unpaper - post-processing scanned book-pages

gerard klaver gerard@gkall.hobby.nl
Sat, 05 Mar 2005 15:50:26 +0100

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 16:03 +0100, Jens Gulden wrote:
> Hello,
>
> unpaper removes black edges and other photocopy artefacts from scanned
> images. It also deskews book pages (auto-rotates them to a straight
> alignment), and centers them on the sheet.
> Old photocopies can become well-readable PDFs again.
>
> Available at http://unpaper.berlios.de/.
>
> Hope it's useful. Enjoy,
> Jens
>
>  From the Readme:
> ------
> unpaper is a post-processing tool for scanned sheets of paper,
> especially for book pages that have been scanned from previously created
> photocopies.
> The main purpose is to make scanned book pages better readable on screen
> after conversion to PDF. Additionally, unpaper might be useful to
> enhance the quality of scanned pages before performing optical character
> recognition (OCR).
>
> unpaper tries to clean scanned images by removing dark edges that
> appeared through scanning or copying on areas outside the actual page
> content (e.g. dark areas between the left-hand-side and the
> right-hand-side of a double-sided book-page scan).
> The program also tries to detect disaligned centering and rotation of
> pages and will automatically straighten each page by rotating it to the
> correct angle. This is called "deskewing".
> Note that the automatic processing will sometimes fail. It is always a
> good idea to manually control the results of unpaper and adjust the
> parameter settings according to the requirements of the input. Each
> processing step can also be disabled individually for each sheet.
>
> Input and output files can be in either .pbm or .pgm format, as also
> used by the Linux scanning tools scanimage and scanadf.
> Conversion to PDF can e.g. be achieved with the Linux tools pgm2tiff,
> tiffcp and tiff2pdf.
> ------
>
> (It's a small program with 1 single source file only. Almost too small
> for being an open-source project on its own. If you have ideas to
> integrate it into other Linux scanning/graphics projects instead, please
> let me know.)

Hello Jens,

My proposal/idea would be te place it in a sane-tools package.

This would be a new package with for the time being only the unpaper
program.

Also if there are other tools related to scanners or webcams the have
a place to be kept.

For example the lprof package see:
gkall.hobby.nl/sane-lprof/sane-lprof.html

And maybe a place to keep the icc profiles from scanners?

Other packages?

In this way also the package can maybe be used as a plug-in for some
scanner frontend programs?

This is the first email about this proposal on the SANE mailinglist
so if anybody has comments/ideas?.

--
--------
m.vr.gr.