[sane-devel] Avision: Scanner Light Does Not Move--Garbage in Preview Window

Dan McGhee farmerdan@i-rule.net
Mon, 07 Mar 2005 06:04:16 -0600

I did all of this on 20050306.  I have a HP Scanjet 5370C (Avision).

Compiled and installed libusb-0.1.10a, sane-backends-1.0.15 and
sane-frontends-1.0.13.  All were release versions.  For sane-backends I
used avision.c, avision.h, avision.conf, sanei_usb.c and sanei_usb.h
from http://svn.exactcode.de/sane-avision/trunk/.  In everything I used
<./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc.  (Except maybe I didn't
set sysconfdir for libusb--could this be the problem?)

In xscanimage and xsane, I get "garbage" in the preview window when I
select "Acquire Preview."  I also noticed that in all cases the scanner
light comes on, travels a very small distance and then turns off.  The
scanner sounds normal.

I sure would appreciate any ideas on this.

By the way, I also am having problems with permissions.  The scanner is
not recognized unless I am "root."  I have
/etc/hotplug/usb/libusbscanner with "ugo=x".  I noticed that the
arguments are commented:

#Arguments:
#...................
#ACTION=[add|remove]
#DEVICE=/proc/bus/usb/BBB/DDD
#TYPE=usb

Aditionally, these lines are also commented:

# if [ "$ACTION" = "add" -a "$TYPE" = "usb" ];  then
#   chown root:scanner "$DEVICE"
#   chmod 0660 "$DEVICE"
#fi

I'm running a Mandrake version of the 2.6.8.1 kernel.  Do I need to
uncomment these lines.  Before I installed the new sane and libusb I
didn't have a permission problem--I had others <BG>

Once again I will appreciate any and all help.

Thanks,

Dan