[sane-devel] Status of SANE Support for HP Scanjet 53xxC?

Dan McGhee farmerdan@i-rule.net
Wed, 09 Mar 2005 21:00:55 -0600

Christian Rank wrote:

>Hello list,
>
>I own a HP Scanjet 5370C and want to use it with Linux. The scanner is
>recognized by SANE and scanning works, but the resulting images have two
>problems:
>- they are "slanted" (i.e. vertical lines show up as diagonal lines in
>the scan result),
>- the scanned immage contains color artifacts showing up as regularly
>repeating vertical stripes.
>
>A typical scan together with the debugging output can be found here:
>	http://rank.gmxhome.de/sane/
>
>(The scanner works perfectly with the "vuescan" product.)
>
>According to some messages on this list, there are other users who have
>the same problems with this scanner, so I'm wondering whether there are
>users which have a HP 53xxC which works with SANE without these problems.

You probably have already read my post in this list (Subj: Avision:
Scanner Light Does Not Move--Garbage in Preview Window).  I have
duplicated the problem you have with the version of sane-backends you
checked out from cvs.  I have also gotten the problem to change to the
light bar not moving by using the version of avision at

 http://svn.exactcode.de/sane-avision/trunk/

Please note that if you use this version you must also get sanei-usb.c
and sanei-usb.h from the sanei directory at that URL.

The archive of this list contains posts indicating that the symptoms you
describe have been fixed.  I currently am looking for a way to do a
regression test to find that version of avision that doesn't exhibit
these symptoms.

I'm sorry I can't offer you any solutions, but as I make progress, if I
do, I'll be sure to post them to this list.

Good luck

Dan