[sane-devel] Help with USB scanner kernel config

Bertrik Sikken bertrik@zonnet.nl
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:08:45 +0100

thewade wrote:
> Bertrik Sikken wrote:
>

>>thewade wrote:
>>

>>>Hello most generous OpenSource developers!
>>>
>>>I am trying to get my old Acer Prisa USB scanner working with my
>>>new AMD64 laptop running Fedora Core 2 and standard linux kernel
>>>2.6.10-lsm. I had the scanner working on my old Pentium 3 laptop
>>>running Fedora Core 1 and standard kernel 2.6.4 but I configured
>>>that kernel so long ago I cannot remember what I did kernel
>>>options I used to get the scanner working. My
>>>/etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf is exactly the same and my u96v121.bin
>>>is there too.
>>

>>Some time ago, sane used the scanner kernel module to communicate
>>over USB with quite a lot of USB scanners. Nowadays, the scanner
>>kernel module has been removed from the kernel and sane now uses
>>libusb. Libusb in turn relies on the usbfs virtual file system
>>in /proc/bus/usb.
>

> ls /proc/bus/usb lists as empty with the scanner on.
>
> /var/log/messages says:
> Mar 15 13:14:40 musicbox kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
>
> lsusb -v doesnt seem to work, giving me nothing but:
> Unknown line at line 4969
> Where the number of the line changes, going up to 5004
>
> dmesg | grep usb tells me (among other things):
> usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
> usbcore: registered new driver hub
> usbcore: registered new driver hiddev
> usbcore: registered new driver usbhid
> drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.0:USB HID core driver
>
> But on boot I remeber seeing usbdevfs not supported by kernel or
> something. Could this be becasue the module isint loaded yet?

Ah! I think usbdevfs has been renamed because it was easily
confused with devfs. Its new name is usbfs. So try looking for
any instances of usbdevfs in bootscripts or in /etc/fstab and
replace it with usbfs.

Regards,
Bertrik