[sane-devel] ScanJet 4C

Ted Parks tparks@linuxmail.org
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 07:04:25 +0800

Checking the place in the SCSI chain indicated on the small dial on my Scan=
Jet 4C, I discovered the scanner was set on 7. I changed it to 0 and 1, but=
 Sane still cannot find the scanner.

My continuing questions:
1) What should the SCSI setting be for the ScanJet? 0? It is the only devic=
e I have connected to the SCSI port. As Martin suggested, changing the sett=
ing from 7 cleared up the repetitions in dmesg, where the machine found the=
 scanner 7 times! But Sane still does not see the ScanJet.

2) Dmesg still has two entries associated with the scanner:

First:

SCSI subsystem initialized
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 0000:00:10.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 0000:00:07.2
scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.36
        <Adaptec 2940 SCSI adapter>
        aic7870: Single Channel A, SCSI Id=3D7, 16/253 SCBs
=20
  Vendor: HP        Model: C2520A            Rev: 3503
  Type:   Processor                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type 3

Then:

  Vendor: HP        Model: C2520A            Rev: 3503
  Type:   Processor                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type 3

This seems to me, perhaps because of my inexperience with SCSI, that Fedora=
Core is attaching the scanner in two places. Why is sg0 found at scsi0 in t=
he first entry, then at scsi1 in the second? If this is an error, how do I =
correct it?

3) Finally, to provide a fuller account of my problem, the output from sane=
-find-scanner follows. Is it normal for a usb scanner to appear, even thoug=
h none is attached?

[root@localhost tparks]# sane-find-scanner
=20
  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure =
that
  # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
=20
found USB scanner (vendor=3D0x049f, product=3D0x505a) at libusb:001:002
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supporte=
d by
=20
  # Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports can'=
t be
  # detected by this program.

Thanks,
Ted Parks