[sane-devel] USB HP office jet k60 not working with Kernel 2.6.5

Stephen CS Howe sdisemi@tin.it
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:46:06 +0000

Hello,

I easily set up my HP Office Jet K60 scanner with kernel 2.4 using
fedora core 1 a short while ago.

I have upgraded to fedora core 2A and Kernel 2.6.5-1 kernel, and note
that the whole scanner recognition system has changed ..aaargggg....why
fix something that was working ??!!

>From the vast and contradictory documentation, I think that I am now
supposed to use libusb or something.

I have looked all over for a coherent explaination of how to set things
up with the new libusb method, but can't find anything. The problem is,
I keep getting "sucked back" into documents setting things up with
kernel modules which I understand is "The old way".

The system basically appears to have seen my hardware:-

check that the USB hardware is working

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

output is as follows for the scanner:-

T:  Bus=03 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=03f0 ProdID=0511 Rev= 1.00
S:  Manufacturer=Hewlett-Packar
S:  Product=OfficeJet  K60
S:  SerialNumber=ES0AVC4090OH
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=00 MxPwr=  2mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=07(print) Sub=01 Prot=03 Driver=usblp
E:  Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=10ms

I note from the above that the loaded driver "usblp" is likely to be for
a printer ??

In any case, sane cannot see the scanner at all.

Therefore, can anyone kindly explain to me in a coherent and step by
step kind of way how to get this scanner working ?
Maybe I can post the reply on the web some place after as I am sure that
this question must be coming up all the time right now.

cheers